Tuesday 31 May 2011

Poor Care

I have just watched the most horrific Panorama special program.  It concentrated on a mental health care home, Winterbrook, showing not only the lack of humane care but the brutality and sickening abuse that the patients are put through.  It was all secretly filmed and the reality of the abuse was for me nothing but sickening.  Seriously.  I wanted to turn the channel because it upset me so much, but at the same time I was gobsmacked that this sort of thing could go on, and I was hoping for a happy conclusion.  As a previous mental health nurse I had never seen such abuse.  Granted I'd met lazy staff but none that would restrain a patient for the sake of it because they were annoying them.  Pulling patients out of bed, grabbing of hair, abused, forced it was all on this program to see.  It wasn't just one staff member it was a great deal of them and the senior staff just turned a blind eye.

Does this thing really go on everywhere?  I seriously hope not.  They are patients in care, not there to be tortured punished, just for fun(!).  In all 13 members of staff were suspended and a police investigation is under way.  I hope they all get prison sentences. I hope they all get long prison sentences and get a taste of their own medicine from fellow inmates.  That's probably just an angry reaction to what I saw, but sometimes justice is knowing just what its like to be in their shoes.

Did anyone else see it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment